Federal or State Licenses
Municipality of Anchorage Licenses
City of Fairbanks Licenses
City and Borough of Juneau Licenses
Related Links
Scheduled Release Dates
  • These data are updated annually and generally updated by mid May. Refer to the last updated date on the bottom of each license Web page.
Contact Information
  • These data are included on our Web site as a courtesy. We are unable to answer questions about a specific license. Contact the licensing agency if you have specifc questions about a license.

    For all other inquires contact us at 907-465-4500.

Social Worker, Clinical, Master, or Bachelor

Licensing Authority:

Alaska Department of Commerce, Community & Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing
Board of Social Work Examiners
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
phone: (907) 465-2551
fax: (907) 465-2974

License/Exam Fees:

Application $60 for all levels (clinical, master, or bachelor)
License $300 for all levels (clinical, master, or bachelor)
Biennial renewal $300 for all levels (clinical, master, or bachelor)
Temporary license $60 (no temporary license for clinical, only for master and bachelor level)

Licensing Requirements:

There are three levels of social work licensure 1) Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) which requires a Master of Social Work (MSW) or Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) from a college or university approved by the licensing board, and two years post-MSW supervised clinical experience. 2) Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) which requires a MSW or DSW from a college or university approved by the licensing board. 3) Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW) which requires a Bachelor's of Social Work (BSW) from a college or university approved by the licensing board.

Applicants for licensure by examination must hold a social work degree; provide a certified transcript; three professional references acceptable to the board; take and pass an exam at the level applying for; and if applying for licensure as a LCSW, an applicant must submit proof of 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience with a minimum of 100 hours of approved supervision equitably distributed throughout the supervised period (no more than 50 of the 100 can be group).

Applicants for licensure by credentials must submit verification of licensure from the state(s) where they currently hold and have held a license; verification of having completed continuing competency - consisting of successful passage of the examination within two years before applying for licensure in Alaska or verification of having worked 1,500 hours within the last five years; completion of the continuing education requirements in 12 AAC 18.210 (a)(1) and (3); and provide three professional references acceptable to the board.

Continuing education is required for license renewal. For a first-time renewal, a licensee must document completion of 45 hours of continuing education, including the following required minimums: six contact hours in substance abuse education, six contact hours in cross-cultural education relating to Alaska Natives, and three contact hours in professional ethics. For any subsequent renewals the same number of hours are required, but only three of the six hours in cross-cultural education must relate to Alaska Natives.

Valid Active Licenses as of December 31, 2015:

Clinical social workers: 560
Social workers with a B.A.: 61
Social workers with a masters: 201

last updated January 2016
The information on this page is updated annually and may have changed during the year. Contact the licensing agency for any changes.