Federal or State Licenses
Municipality of Anchorage Licenses
City of Fairbanks Licenses
City and Borough of Juneau Licenses
Related Links
Scheduled Release Dates
  • These data are updated annually and generally updated by mid May. Refer to the last updated date on the bottom of each license Web page.
Contact Information
  • These data are included on our Web site as a courtesy. We are unable to answer questions about a specific license. Contact the licensing agency if you have specifc questions about a license.

    For all other inquires contact us at 907-465-4500.


Licensing Authority:

Alaska Department of Commerce, Community & Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing
Alaska State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
FAX: (907) 465-2974
Contact Information:

License/Exam Fees:

1) Engineer by comity application fees $520 ($100 fee, $170 review fee, $250 registration fee)
2) Engineer by exam $100 application fee & $250 registration fee (exam fees are paid to NCEES, who now administers the exams)
3) Biennial renewal $250
4) Fundamentals of Engineering $100 application fee

Licensing Requirements:

Applicants must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Examination or show verification of 20 years of professional work experience. Also required is the passing of the Professional Engineering Examination and a board approved arctic engineering course (list is in the application). Contact the board for specific education and experience requirements or check AELS Statutes & Regulations listed on the Alaska State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors Web site.

Note: Effective 3/12/2012 we will add 9 new branches of engineering to those we regulate. We will license all branches of engineering that NCEES presently has an exam for except architectural engineer, and softwear engineer.

The requirement for renewal includes 24 hours of continuing education. All hours must be in health, safety & welfare.

Valid Active Licenses as of December 31, 2015:

Agriculture Engineer: 1
Chemical Engineer: 126
Civil Engineer: 2,900
Control Systems Engineer: 34
Electrical Engineer: 681
Environmental Engineer: 123
Fire Protection Engineer: 37
Industrial Engineer: 1
Mechanical Engineer: 777
Metallurgical And Materials Engineer: 2
Mining and Mineral Processing Engineer: 47
Naval Architect And Marine Engineer: 17
Nuclear Engineer: 1
Petroleum Engineer: 112
Structural Engineer: 269

last updated January 2016
The information on this page is updated annually and may have changed during the year. Contact the licensing agency for any changes.