State of Alaska > DOLWD > Vocational Rehabilitation > More About Us
> Assistive Technology Loan Fund
Assistive Technology Loan Fund
The Assistive Technology Loan Fund (ATLF) is a flexible loan option program which may allow Alaskans with disabilities to access a lower interest rate and/or longer term repayment timelines in order to purchase AT needed to improve their independence, productivity and quality of life. Loan terms are based on the applicant’s individual needs. Each loan recipient is legally obligated to pay their loan back per the signed loan documentation. The fund is administrated by the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. The participating lending institution is Northrim Bank (the bank).
- Minimum loan: $2,500. Maximum loan: $40,000
- The maximum interest rate is based on the bank’s lowest, available loan rate for the type of loan applied for at the time of application. A rate lower than this may be available if an interest buy-down is approved as noted below. The rate is established on a case by case basis with the initial recommendation made by the bank and reviewed and approved by DVR's ATLF Coordinator. Current rates can be found on the banks website: https://www.northrim.com.
- Qualified consumers may obtain a second loan from this fund provided that the existing loan is in good standing and the total of the two loans does not exceed the maximum allowable loan amount.
- The State guarantees 90% of this loan while the commercial bank covers the remaining 10% guarantee.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicant must be a person with a disability or their representative(s) or parent
- Must be used to purchase Assistive Technology (AT) such as, but not limited to vehicle modifications, housing modifications, durable medical equipment, off the shelf customized products that improve the quality of life for individual with disabilities
- Loans to purchase vehicles are not allowed
- For a loan to modify a vehicle to provide transportation for a person with a disability, the applicant must have been employed for at least ninety (90) days immediately preceding the date of the loan application.
- Must be demonstrated that the AT requested has the potential to improve that individual’s quality of life, independence, or ability to function productively.
- Must work with other funding sources to ensure that the funding for AT is not available through less expensive means before applying to the ATLF for a loan. This includes funding through other agencies or programs or eligibility for a conventional consumer loan, notwithstanding extenuating factors.
How to Apply
- Loan applicant and/or their legal representative contacts the ATLF Coordinator to verify they are eligible to apply for the program. The ATLF Coordinator notifies the bank of eligible applicants.
- Loan applicant requests a Consumer Credit Application from the bank.
- The bank mails the applicant an application and stamped envelope.
- The applicant completes the application and mails or faxes it back to the bank.
- The bank underwrites the application, recommends to approve or decline based on ATLF Guidelines and then contacts the AT Loan Fund Coordinator to review the bank’s recommendation.
- If application is declined, the bank will send a “Notice of Decline” letter to the applicant.
If Consumer Credit Application Approved
- The bank and ATLF Coordinator will determine the appropriate rate and term based on the applicant’s need and will also determine if the request warrants an interest buy down consideration.
- The bank will produce loan documents for the applicant to sign at the most convenient bank branch location. If there is not a convenient bank branch, the applicant must use a notary to verify their signature on the loan documents and then mail them to the appropriate bank address.
- The bank will provide payment coupons to cover the installment schedule for the loan.
- The bank will collect and process all payments from the borrower(s).
- The approved Loan is reported to the Credit Bureau. Who does this?
- If the account reaches a past due status, the bank will send late notices and make collection calls according to established guidelines.
- The bank will send the State of Alaska quarterly reports containing the total amount loaned, payments received and any delinquent accounts.
AT Loan Fund Coordinator
801 W. 10th St., Suite A
Juneau, Alaska 99801
V/TDD and Toll Free: 1-800-478-2815
Phone: (907) 465-6933
Fax: (907) 465-2856
2709 Spenard Road
P.O. Box 241489
Anchorage, Alaska 99524-1489
Phone: (907) 261-6206
Fax: (907) 263-3219
|Community Rehabilitation Providers (CRP)
|Director: Cheryl A. Walsh
|| (907) 465-2814
|| (907) 465-2856
||801 W. 10th Street,
Juneau, AK 99801-1894